7.23.2007

Looking for green on both sides



So earlier today I was browsing Myspace, checking out people in my hometown in general. Now, Abilene holds a very special place in my heart and it always will. My family, a few friends, my church and my memories are all there — I'm the first to defend when people complain about the town. But after going through these profiles (of complete strangers..I was browsing in general, not going through my friend's list) what I saw wasn't a good reputation of what I remember and love about my hometown. I noticed this also when we went out to The Warehouse, a new, "trendy" up and coming venue in Abilene. It was dissappointing and I can't say why because I don't know exactly. But I have no desire to go back. The people are different, there's quality people there, but I haven't been running into them much. I feel the same way a lot about Dallas - just in different way. I think many people in Abilene settle for less than what they are capable of - and many people in Dallas think they're better than they are. There are good lives to be lead on both ends - whether you live there, or here, but I guess it's all perspective. I want to retain the humility and good neighbor mentality that Abilene instilled in me, but have the drive and experimental opportunities you find in the city - minus the naiveity, minus the pretention.

1 comment:

Kiddrae254 said...

You need to forward this to Reilly, she swears that Abilene is not too far behind the times....hmmmm.

So your people saw me at Eat Z's?!?! Haha, who!?!?