10.06.2010

Frenemies.

As if I didn't have enough exes reappearing via Facebook - now I have old "friends."

There's one in particular that bothers me. We were great friends, best even, for several years before we had a falling out. She befriended girls in college that didn't like me. They even had the nerve to write catty things on my dry erase board on my dorm door. Yeah, it was high school all over again. She felt like I blamed her, I didn't, but I didn't blame her for not sticking up for me. She saw the bullying I had to deal with in high school, so why would she sit and watch it happen all over again in college? I was the bigger person, and apologized several times. In hindsight I have NO idea why I did except for the fact I was really trying to salvage a friendship.

Fast forward a year and a half - two years ago. I run across her on Facebook, send her a request and a message. In the message I tell her (AGAIN) I was sorry for whatever I did, but it was in the past and I would like to catch up.

No confirmation, no reply back.

Fine. Over it.

Until her stupid little face shows up on my news feed.

"_______" is now friends with "_______."

Um. Hello. Your friends with someone you didn't say TWO WORDS to in high school? That kid was MY friend, since when are you all of a sudden THEIR friend? You see, I wasn't the most popular girl in high school, but I had a lot of friends. I always had a place to sit in the cafeteria, and I involved myself in many circles. I'm a bit of a social butterfly. THIS girl on the other hand, not so much and with the exception of a couple of people, she rode my social coattails.

It's so petty, but yes, it annoyed me to even see that. Oh well, that chapter is closed, I just had to share...

Part II
______________________________________________________



On the flip side, there's another friendship.

I lost a close friend a couple of months ago, and although I've been totally okay about it, recently it's been sneaking up on me.

I really hate that feeling.

I don't know what to do.

A big part of me knows the friendship has turned toxic, so I know in the end, this IS best, but I can't help but miss the friendship (when it was good). The other part is too prideful to say "how have you been" or "happy birthday."

You know how certain songs will take you back to a certain time in your life, even a small memory? Well, some random playlist from forever ago showed up out of nowhere on my itunes this week. It was one that I deleted sometime ago and bam, all of a sudden - it's there, along with it's memories.

These people make me feel like this....



"And is that what you call tact?
You're as subtle as a brick in the small of my back.
So let's end this call, and end this conversation.
And is that what you call a getaway?
Well tell me what you got away with,
cause you left the frays from the ties you severed
when you say best friends means friends forever."

Ah. Jumping and screaming to this sounds like a good fix, but seriously...

WHAT DO I DO?

1 comment:

Steve G. said...

That sucks, regarding all those awkward FB situations :/ It really does make me ponder my past relationships as well.

Whenever I login, I'm forced to see the News Feed, which is made up of people you've looked at the most. Of course, for me this means half the list is ex-girlfriends and ex-dates I'm still friends with. It's like a wall of failure.